“Enrichment activities are normally underway in Natanz nuclear facility far from the site of the incident,” Behrouz Kamalvandi told reporters on Thursday commenting on an incident occurred at early hours on the day in one of the outdoor under-construction sheds of Natanz facility in central Iran.
“The incident caused some material damage but no loss of life,” Kamalvandi said.
He added, “We have many open-space sheds at Shahid Ahmadi Roshan enrichment complex. Our enrichment activities are mostly done underground.”
Earlier in the day, there were some rumors by the opposition media claiming that the incident has caused radioactive pollution.
Rejecting those rumors, Kamalvandi said “Contrary to the false propaganda by enemy and counterrevolutionary media, no contamination has occurred because there has been no nuclear material in this shed.”
He added that expert teams from the AEOI have been deployed to the site of the incident to investigate its main cause.
According to Kamalvandi, the AEOI’s chief, Ali Akbar Salehi, has also attended the site of the incident.
Natanz nuclear facility is generally known as Iran's main facility for uranium enrichment. It is located in Isfahan province, south of the capital Tehran.
The site is among the centers now being monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) under a 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and major powers.
The IAEA, meanwhile, announced that it was aware of the incident, but did not foresee any change to the UN nuclear watchdog’s regular verification of Iran’s commitments to the body’s Safeguards Agreement as a result of the development.
The Safeguards Agreement between Iran and the IAEA ensures non-diversion of nuclear material declared by Iran.
IRNA and Press TV contributed to this story.