Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations said the US president’s recent threat to use force against Iran constitutes a violation of fundamental principles enshrined in the United Nations Charter.
In letters addressed to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and President of the Security Council Abdou Abarry, Majid Takht-Ravanchi said Trump had threatened Iran with an attack and made “a baseless allegation” against the country over an alleged assassination plot.
“Such a provocative statement constitutes a gross violation of the very fundamental principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, particularly its Article 2(4) that clearly prohibits the threat or use of force,” Takht-Ravanchi said, Press TV wrote.
Takht-Ravanchi was reacting to Donald Trump’s Monday tweet, in which he referred to “press reports” that Iran “may be planning an assassination, or other attack, against the United States” to avenge Washington’s assassination of top Iranian anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani in Iraq early this year.
The Politico newsmagazine had cited unnamed US officials as claiming that Iran was weighing to assassinate US Ambassador to South Africa Lana Marks before the American presidential election in November.
Tehran categorically rejected the allegations.
Trump, however, threatened, “Any attack by Iran, in any form, against the United States will be met with an attack on Iran that will be 1,000 times greater in magnitude!”
The Iranian official warned that the Islamic Republic will not hesitate to exercise its right to self-defense in the face of any American military adventurism.
He further reminded the UN that the US president had threatened Iran several times following the assassination of General Soleimani, calling on the Security Council to help put an end to such American threats.
“This is not the first time that the president of the United States has threatened to use force against Iran. Following the horrific assassination of Major General Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Republic of Iran, on 3 January 2020, and in the course of 3 to 5 January 2020, he threatened on five different occasions to use force against Iran,” Takht-Ravanchi explained.
“The irresponsible policies and unlawful practices of the United States pose a serious threat to international peace and security. Therefore, it is incumbent upon the United Nations Security Council to demand that the United States put an end to its threats and unfettered policies and hold that country accountable for its wrongful acts,” the diplomat added.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also censured the US president for threatening Tehran over the alleged assassination plot against an American diplomat.
In a tweet late on Tuesday, Zarif blasted US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as a “habitual liar” and said the American diplomat had “bamboozled” Trump into assassinating top Iranian anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Soleimani in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad earlier in the year.
Zarif said Pompeo was then seeking to deceive the US president and “sucker him into mother of all quagmires by leaking a new false alarm.”
To double down on his assertion that the US secretary of state was a liar, Zarif also attached to his tweet the photo of Pompeo, a former CIA director, who admitted to an audience last year that the American spy agency trained employees to “lie, cheat and steal.”