News ID: 276020
Published: 0422 GMT October 27, 2020

Azerbaijan says four civilians killed in Armenia attack, Yerevan denies

Azerbaijan says four civilians killed in Armenia attack, Yerevan denies
AFP
Armenian soldiers fire artillery on the frontline on October 25, 2020 during ongoing fighting between the Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Azerbaijan on Tuesday accused Armenia of a missile strike on a village in its Barda region near the frontline with Nagorno-Karabakh that killed four people, but Yerevan denied carrying out any attack.

The Azerbaijani presidential aide, Hikmet Hajiyev, said that a toddler was among the dead and that 10 people were wounded, accusing Armenia of an "indiscriminate and targeted attack against civilians", AFP wrote.

"In violation of humanitarian cease-fire and in order to compensate their sustained military losses, Armenia resorts to war crimes of killing civilians," Hajiyev said in English on Twitter.

The Armenian Defense Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan denied the claim, saying no missile was fired toward Barda by the forces of Armenia or by Armenian separatists in Karabakh.

She said on Twitter that the statement of the Azerbaijani side about an alleged rocket attack is an absolute lie.

 

Ongoing clashes

 

Clashes have continued between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh despite three attempts to establish a cease-fire, according to Press TV.

Nagorno-Karabakhs self-proclaimed Defense Ministry said on Tuesday that clashes continued in some directions” of the conflict zone, noting that its forces continue to implement combat tasks, keeping the operative-tactical situation under control”.

It said the situation in the conflict zone remained relatively stable and tense” overnight.

Artillery duels continued in some areas,” it said. Shells landed in the towns of Martuni and Martakert, as well as villages in the northern part of Askeran region.

According to Azerbaijans Defense Ministry, fighting concentrated in three frontline areas, namely Khojavend, Fizuli, and Gubadli. The ministry said its military positions and settlements near the frontline had been fired upon.

The clashes come even though Baku and Yerevan announced they would begin a third US-mediated attempt to establish a lasting cease-fire on Monday, after four weeks of fighting. Two earlier Russia-brokered cease-fire agreements collapsed immediately after taking effect, with both sides accusing each other of violations.

An Armenian Defense Ministry official, Artsrun Hovhannisyan, told a press conference late on Monday that ethnic Armenian forces had withdrawn from the settlement of Gubadli south of the enclave to avoid unnecessary losses”, but the situation was not critical”.

 

Post near Iranian border

 

Defense Ministry spokeswoman Stepanyan also said the Azerbaijani armed forces had launched attacks on an Armenian frontier post on the border with Iran.

This morning, from 10:00-10:15 [0600-0615 GMT], the Azerbaijani side violated the cease-fire again and used drones (of which one fell on the Armenian territory) and artillery weapons to shell a border post on the southern border with Iran,” she wrote on Facebook, and warned that it would launch retaliatory attacks against Azerbaijani forces.

The Azerbaijani attack reportedly caused no casualties.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry denied the claim.

The spokeswoman also said on Tuesday that Armenian forces had conducted preventive strikes against Azerbaijani forces.

To put an end to Azerbaijani air force, Armenian border service took preventive action at Armenias southern border,” Stepanyan said, adding that Azeri forces had suffered heavy losses in the attacks.

Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but it is held by ethnic Armenian separatists backed by Armenia since 1992, when they broke from Azerbaijan in a war that killed some 30,000 people.

The ongoing fighting erupted in late September.

 

Armenian forces captured

 

The head of the forensic department of the Armenian Investigative Committee said on Tuesday that 17 Armenian servicemen are being held captive in Azerbaijan”.

At a news conference, Rafael Vardanyan said, We are verifying the information on another two.”

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Resource: AFP
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/5848 sec